It’s never felt like a more important time to be looking at the evolution of brands and the values they reflect about modern society, and the volatile, uncertain times we find ourselves living in. Around the world, businesses are having to evolve and adapt at lightning speed.
Amidst the upheaval of Covid-19, a human rights movement, #BlackLivesMatter, has gained momentum at an unbelievable pace. The theme is one that touches us all, asking us to examine areas of our lives where there’s been exploitation, discrimination, or neglect.
Leading US companies are finding their reputations under fire, with their products being flagged as tone deaf and possibly offensive. Many, like Aunt Jemima – a familiar household breakfast food brand, are now taking action. Aunt Jemima has heard public sentiment and is changing its 100-year old packaging to shut down a racial stereotype. Brand evolution.
We invite you to join us online for the Future of Media digitised series in partnership with Vodacom and EziAds, where our panel of international marketing experts will explore the future of brands in a changing consumer marketplace, with advice on navigating the issues being faced today – not only in South Africa, but globally.
International panellists in the discussion moderated by Refilwe Maluleke (managing director at Yellowwood) include:
- Patrick Hanlon – Founder and CEO at primalbranding.co, and considered the ‘Charles Darwin’ of branding
- Dauoda Leonard – Founder and CEO of CREATESAFE, and music producer for Lady Gaga, Grimes, amongst others.
- Michael Perman – former Senior Director of Marketing at Levi Strauss & Company and Innovation Futurist and CEO of C’est What?
- Joseph Perello – Founder and CEO of content company PROPS
The following topics will be up for discussion:
- Understanding the use of ‘primal code’ to create global Brands
- Brand creation and the development of a brand creed
- The importance of identifiable brand iconography
- How Covid-19, #Black Lives Matter and other cultural events influence marketing and content
- Storytelling as a tool to maintain brand relevance
- The impact of video content
Date: 21 July
Partners of the Future of Media digitised series include Everlytic, Proudly SA, The MediaShop and WAN-IFRA.